"Seeing is believing": imaging biomolecules is a fascinating and common technique to track, e.g., binding events or folding pathways. Our focus lies on the visualization of the splicing process of a catalytic RNA that takes place during RNA maturation. We are investigating the complex RNA folding of the mitochondrial group II intron Sc.ai5γ from S. cerevisiae and monitor its self-cleavage reaction by single-molecule Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (smFRET).
- Metal-Ion-Assisted Folding Pathway of Group II introns
- Single-Molecule FRET Spectroscopy at Non- and Near-Physiological Conditions
- Dual-fluorescent Labeling Strategies of large ribozymes
- Since 2020 Scientific co-worker mentoring the smFRET subgroup
- 2018 - 2020 Postdoctoral fellow in Roland Sigel's lab
- 2012 - 2018 PhD Ph.D. thesis in Roland Sigel's lab, self-directed interdisciplinary topic "Combining Single-Molecule with Ensemble Fluorescence Experiments to Disentangle the Interplay of Folding and Activity of a Group II Intron Ribozyme"
- 2011: Master Thesis (M.Sc.) at the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Zurich, Prof. G. R. Patzke, Topic: "Microscopic Investigations of a Potential Drug Carrier System for Bioactive Polyoxometalates"
- 2009 - 2011: Master-Studies in Biochemistry, Institute of Biochemistry, University of Zurich
- 2005: Bachelor-Studies (B.Sc.) in Biotechnology, FH-Lausitz, University of Applied Sciences, Germany, Practical part of the Bachelor thesis at the Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Prof. E.C. Böttger, Topic: "Cloning and Purification of Ribosomal Proteins of Mycobacterium smegmatis "
- 2013 – 2017 Administrative assistant for COST action CM1105: Functional metal complexes that bind to biomolecules
- 2010 – 2012 Research Associate at the biotech company Molecular Partners, Zürich, Field: "Ribosome display selections, Protein screening, expression, purification, and characterization"
- 2006 – 2010 Research Technician at the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, University of Zurich, Prof. Roland K. O. Sigel, Topic: "Metal ion‐RNA‐Interaction"
- 2005 Research Assistant at the Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Prof. Erick C. Böttger
- 2003 Employee at the pharmacological company elbion AG, Radebeul, Germany
- Encapsulation of Fluorescently Labeled RNAs into Surface Tethered Vesicles for Single-Molecule FRET Studies in TIRF Microscopy. Susann Zelger-Paulus, Melodie C. A. S. Hadzic, Roland K. O. Sigel, and Richard Börner, Methods in Molecular Biology, 2020.
- Detailed Analysis of complex single-molecule FRET data with the software MASH. Melodie C. A. S. Hadzic, Danny Kowerko, Richard Börner, Susann Zelger-Paulus, Roland K.O. Sigel, SPIE Bios, 2016.
- Internal Labeling Strategy of Large RNAs with Minimal Perturbation Using Fluorescent PNA. Anita G. Schmitz, Susann Zelger-Paulus, Gilles Gasser,* Roland K. O. Sigel*, ChemBioChem, 2015.
- Binding of a Designed Anti-cancer Drug to the Central Cavity of an RNA Three-Way Junction. Siriporn Phongtongpasuk, Susann Paulus, Joachim Schnabl, Roland K. O. Sigel*, Bernhard Spingler*, Michael J. Hannon*, Eva Freisinger*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013 Oct 25;52(44):11513-6-- selected as top 5% Very Important Paper (VIP) -- Front Cover of October issue Angewandte Chemie
- Targeted Delivery of Polyoxometalate Nanocomposites. Georg Geisberger, Susann Paulus, Emina Besic Gyenge, Carolin Maake, Greta R. Patzke, Small, 2011, 7, 2808.
- Synthesis, characterization and cytotoxicity of polyoxometalate/carboxymethyl chitosan nanocomposites. Georg Geisberger, Susann Paulus, M. Carraro, M. Bonchio, Greta R. Patzke, Chem. Eur. J., 2011, 17, 4619.
- Using In Vitro Transcription to Construct Scaffolds for One-Dimensional Arrays of Mercuric Ions. Silke Johannsen, Susann Paulus, Nicole Düpre, Jens Müller, Roland K. O. Sigel, J. Inorg. Biochem., 2008, 102(5-6):1141.
Fall semester 2020: Physical Chemistry, Experiment: Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy CHE211Fall semester 2020: Lecture (4SWS) "Metal Ions in Life Sciences" CHE431Fall semester 2019: Lecture (4SWS) "Metal Ions in Life Sciences" CHE431Fall semester 2019: Lecture (4SWS) "Metal Ions in Life Sciences"
- Fall semester 2018 and 2019: Teaching assistant in basic chemistry for teachers
- 2016 April - December: Masterstudent, Besim Fazliji
- 2015 July -August: BUSS student, Manuela Zimmermann
- 2015 March – December: Master student, Ilija Vukadin
- Fall semester 2014: Chemistry lab class for medical students
- Fall semester 2014: Chemistry lab class for verterinary students
- 2014 July – August: BUSS student, Besim Fazliji
- 2013 July – August: BUSS student Cristina Batlle Carreras
- 2020 Co-applicant SNF-proposal
- 2016 Chemistry Travel Award
- 2016 Travel Award of the Graduate School of Chemical and Molecular Sciences Zurich
- 2013/2015 Forschungskredit [FK-13-095] and Prolongation [FK-15-094]